Music at Leamington Hastings
About Music at Leamington Hastings
success of Music at Leamington Hastings over the past years stems from two happy
events. The first was the wisdom of Sir Gilbert Scott, in around 1887,
who installed the oak panelled ceiling in the nave; this is the principle
reason for the superb acoustics in the church, ideal for chamber music, which
arouse comment from many visiting musicians. The other event was the
arrival of Ray Law, who single-handedly started a concert series in 1971.
from small beginnings, the concerts became a major project for Ray and Brenda,
and are now firmly established on the international circuit for many
performers. Six times a year this small rural church transforms into a
concert hall and hosts some 200 to 400 people to hear wonderful music.
From early days,
Ray built up a tradition of friendly hospitality to both musicians and
audience, and the village has aimed to continue this; in summer local gardens
are opened for interval strawberries and cream, while at Christmas mulled wine
is enjoyed in church.
and happy relationship with the Yehudi Menuhin School has been a feature; the
orchestra has visited every two years – we enjoy entertaining them,
and their brilliant and exuberant performances always ensure a large audience.
Many of their
past pupils such as Tasmin Little, have continued to return here, after
becoming international stars. Past programmes include a wealth of top chamber
groups, such as the Borodin, Endellion and Maggini String Quartets, the Schubert
Ensemble, and many others. Amongst the virtuoso pianists who have
played here, John LillCBE must take pride of place, and we are honoured that he
is now our President.
Pease find a link to our website with a full calendar listing.
For enquiries contact:- David Potts on 07966 584328