Methodist Church

Part of the Rugby & Daventry Methodist Circuit

R'vd. Charity Madenyika    tel.01455 203545

Licenced for weddings

Services Sunday 11am

Coffee morning is held on the    2nd Wednesday of each month     10.30am – 12 noon

Local contact   Tel. 01926 632874







++++

Are you looking for a peaceful rural venue for  a 'DAY RETREAT'?
why not try
BROADWELL METHODIST CHAPEL
In the heart of  Warwickshire Countryside with ample parking amongst an avenue of trees
off the A426 Dunchurch - Southam Road
for more information
R'vd. Charity Madenyika  - 01455 203505
Patrick Toole - 01926 632874

++++

 

  

Broadwell and Wesleyan Methodism

Broadwell ' taketh its name from the breadth of the well that riseth there'. Could the existence of the well have been a factor in the Iron Age settlement in Broadwell that was discovered in an archaeological survey in 2014?

 Impossible to know, but Arthur Olorenshaw's book, 'Broadwell, The Story of Non Conformity in an English village' stands on firmer ground. It traces the existence of 'Dissenters' in Broadwell 400 years ago. The 1662 Act of Uniformity gave rise to dissenters being defined as non-conformists, simply because they would not conform to the provisions of the Act.  At the Quarter Sessions held at Warwick in 1683, Edmund Clarke, David Ryland, Thomas Isaacs and Henry Smith, all of Broadwell were presented for not coming to Church 'for Divine Service for three Sundays last'. Their appearances in court were repeated at the Epiphany and Easter Quarter Sessions in 1684.  The Act of Toleration in 1689 gave some respite and a licence was granted for a Presbyterian meeting in the house of Edmund Clarke.

 The first record of a licenced Methodist meeting place was in 1832 in the house of John Price of Broadwell, but its location is not known for sure. Erected in 1835 and described as a separate room in the house not occupied for other use, it had 80 free sittings. A return made by the Broadwell Steward, Robert Mullins, showed an attendance of 50 at the afternoon service on Sunday, 31st March 1851 and the average for the previous year of 60. The 1851 Census recorded a population of about 200, not too different from what it is now.

 The original Chapel was built in 1871 at a cost of £120. The door of the chapel was reached from a footpath at the opposite end from the now existing avenue. Joseph Arch, the founder of the Agricultural Workers Union preached at the first anniversary in 1872. The Right Honourable George Thomas opened the new chapel, rebuilt in 1962 and the original building is now used a meeting room.

 The chapel is a rarity, if not unique, in being approached from the road by a tree-lined avenue on land that was given in 1929 by William Wiseman Cox, a Methodist Church member, who farmed the adjacent Home Farm. The new chapel now presents a fine aspect with its entrance at the end of the avenue.

 





© Webmaster Nobby Products 2015 ‎

Community Web Kit provided free by BT